Tuesday

"Black History Month" Challenge

February is Black History Month in the US. As with anything on this planet, people are split on whether it is a good or bad thing to have a single month that is dedicated to the histories of black people. My stance has always been that I love Black History Month. Yes, it is only a month but it is better than nothing because Schools are NOT teaching black history, black parents are barely teaching their children black history and the media definitely isn't, so even if it is only for one month, I am very happy to see everyone make a concerted effort to share and teach black history. I do hope that one day we will get to a point where we do not need to do it, the same way we will get to a point where we don't need affirmative action, BEE in South Africa or indigenisation in Zimbabwe and any of the policies that aim to right past wrongs. 

Anyway, back to Black History Month. I came across this challenge (The Black Love Valencia's Garden Challenge) and I thought it was pretty cool. I love to read some of the great thinkers, writers and fighters of our history because there are always gems in their works.  


One of my favourite blogs at the moment is "Valencia's Garden." It is filled with reflections by a young woman named Valencia, a teacher in Baltimore. I always find her posts empowering and thoughtful; they bring an extra dose of positivity to my day so I wanted to share. Please check out the www.valenciasgarden.com and I hope you will join me in this challenge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment