Monday

Miriam Makeba "Mama Africa"


Netflix has some really great documentaries. If you don't have Netflix, I'm sorry, but keep reading. 

Last week, I watched Mama Africa. Finally. I missed it when it was part of the New York's African Film Festival, so I was delighted to find it on Netflix. I have been listening to Miriam Makeba since I was a little girl. She is one of the legends, so naturally, my parents played her music all of the time. I have always loved Miriam Makeba, the singer. This documentary gave me so much more insight and amplified her status, in my eyes. 


Miriam Makeba did not just sing about justice and peace. She was wholly about it and she never shied away from speaking up for oppressed people in South Africa and in America and on top of that she married a Black Panther, Stokely Carmichael (or Kwame Ture, if you prefer). Her music was banned, her tours cancelled, she was forced into exile but she continued to dedicate her life to fighting racism and injustice on this earth. 

The documentary is a mix of old footage of Miriam (performances, interviews etc) combined with family and friends speaking about her. After watching this, I realize that she was much much more than a singer. She was an activist until her last days and I can definitely see why they called her "Mama Africa."

Miriam Makeba with then husband, Stokely Carmichael.

The 9th of November will mark five years since she died of a heart attack, in Italy. Lala ngoxolo Mama Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment