Thursday

Thoughts On Gatsby



I saw The Great Gatsby last night. The evening kicked off with some food and the appropriate refreshments (pomegranate martinis.) I read this book, like many other American students, at some point for a book report. I may or may not have used Spark Notes or  maybe it was a VERY long time ago because I only remembered very few things about it.

This is what I thought (no spoilers.)


1. This movie is a VISUAL delight. I had a lot of faith in Baz Lurhmann and he did not disappoint. I did not even watch it in 3D but I felt opulence and the drama oozing off the screen.

2. I know I said I disliked the tracks I had heard from the soundtrack (the Beyonce & Andre 3000 cover of Back to Black + Emeli Sande's cover of Crazy In Love) but oddly enough, I enjoyed them in the movie. They worked. I just don't want to hear them on their own.

3. Carey Mulligan was a vision as Daisy Buchanan. All the costumes gave me life.
Image Courtesy of Vogue Magazine

4. "Love is one hell of a drug." -- that needs no explanation, if you know the story.

5.  Leo DiCaprio is just as beautiful now as he was when I first laid eyes on him in Titanic.

After watching the movie, I promptly bought Lana Del Ray's "Young and Beautiful" from iTunes. The scenes during which it played were so beautiful.



Overall, I enjoyed this movie. It was FAR too long but it lived up to the hype. Are you planning on seeing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment