Tuesday

WE DID IT! AIDS WALK NY 2013


*Please excuse the poor quality pictures. 

One of the best feelings is having an idea and then executing it. Following through is the new black :)

A few years ago, I decided I wanted to walk in New York's annual AIDS Walk, the only problem is that I was never in New York at the right time. This year, I was here so I decided it was going to happen. Then I thought, why do it alone? So, I recruited some friends and made a team. Then I decided even that was not enough, let me do some fundraising. A month and a half , a couple of emails to my team, weekly tweets & facebook statuses,  countless emails between with Rob at the AWNY office and 10km later, WE DID IT! Even in the pouring rain, it was great.

About 20 people were part of my team, unfortunately a few did not walk because of the rain but HATS OFF to those that did. From screaming and cheering "Sisonke" (our team name) to singing Justin Timberlake's "Mirror"to just having good conversation and laughs while navigating a crowd of 30,000 people [plus their umbrellas]....I can honestly say we had a great time.

This whole experience surpassed my expectations in many ways. I am grateful for all the support and thankful to everyone, especially Team Sisonke :)

No comments:

Post a Comment