Sunday

Wishlist: FIVE BOOKS

I love to read as much as I love to write, probably more. I loved reading before I even knew I enjoyed writing. It is sad that books are not cheap, at all. Thank God for libraries but I do like to own the books I read. Anyway, these are the five books currently at the top of my reading list.

1.  So NoViolet Bulawayo is from the city where I was born. She attended schools that my Dad, my aunt, uncles and so many people I know did. I say that to say, I am almost certain this book will feel familiar to me. She won the Caine Prize for African Writing in 2011 for her short story "Hitting Budapest." which is actually the beginning of this book. I've heard good things so I am excited! It hits stores May 21.


2. I am a Chimamanda Adichie groupie. She is on my list of people I need to meet. So many years ago, I was in Zimbabwe for the summer with barely any friends and constant power outages, so I picked up Half of A Yellow Sun. I was buried in that book for two days straight. Her writing is magnificent. I have read EVERYTHING (that has been released publicly) that she has written. MAY 14 needs to hurry so I can get this :) 


3. Someone recommended this to me almost two years ago. I love period pieces, whether is it books or movies and this is meant to be really good. Now that a movie was made, I need to read it before I even think of watching the movie. 



4. Originally I wanted to read this book because of the kind of catty and mean things that were being said about Sheryl Sandberg. I'm looking at you, Maureen Dowd.  The response to it was quite something so I decided that I had to see for myself. A friend of mine gave it a really good review, so that's another reason. 

5. My father ALWAYS tells me how important owning land is. The older I get, the more I agree with him on that point. One day I was on a tweet-rant about the land issues across Africa and someone suggested that I read this book. After some online research, I got an idea of just how real the land grabbing is. Hopefully this book will shed more light. 


If you have any book suggestions, please feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment